• Galina Falls in First Round of Sony Open, Miami


    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - Galina put up a great fight but could not overcome Tsvetana Pironkova in the first round of the Sony Open in Miami. She fell 6-2 7-5.


  • Galina Retires in Indian Wells


    Thursday, March 6, 2014 - Galina was forced to retire from her first round match in Indian Wells due to a upper respiratory infection. She was trailing Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor 6-1 1-0.


    Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor (ESP) d Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) | 6 - 1 | 1 - 0 | ret - See more at:

  • Galina Set to Start Indian Wells Against Torro-Flor

    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - Galina opens her Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, campaign against Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor of Spain. In doubles, Galina and doubles partner, Vania King, face 8-seeded Lucie Hradecka and Jie Zheng.


  • Galina Captures Acapulco Doubles Title!


    Saturday, March 1, 2014 - Galina and Kristina Mladenovic overcame a close encounter against Czech pairing, Cetkovska and Melzer, to capture the doubles title at the Abierto Mexicano TELCEL tournament. The pair won 6-3 2-6 10-5.

    The next stop for Galina is Indian Wells, USA, where she will compete in the BNP Paribas Open starting March 5, 2014.

    Acapulco champs

    Acapulco traning 2014



  • Galina Through to Acapulco Finals!


    Friday, February 28, 2014 - Galina and doubles partner, Kristina Mladenovic, won a nailbiting semi-final match 11-9 in the third set super tiebreaker to advance into Saturday's doubles final in Acapulco. The pair beat Klaudi Jans-Ignacik (POL) and Maryna Zanevska (UKR) 2-6 6-2 11-9.

    They now face the Czech pairing of Petra Cetkovska and Iveta Melzer in the finals.


Recent Photos
  • 03/02/2014


    It smells like food, and the light is shining in my eyes.


    Go to comments

    Hello my dear friends!

    It smells like food, and the light is shining in my eyes. I open my eyes. So where am I? I see the flight attendants. Exactly, I am already in the plane! I am flying home from Australia. My neighbor is smiling to me: “We were trying to wake you up, but did not manage. Would you like to eat?”

    I was very hungry, but the sleep was stronger. Even though the first half of the journey (9 hours) and almost all the time while waiting at the airport (8 more hours) I was asleep. It was lucky that at the Guangzhou airport, where I switched the flights, there was a room for rest with a full bed. Probably I still cannot quite recover from my latest matches in Melbourne, because usually I do not sleep so much. But I wanted to write a blog post! If I do not do it now, then later I would not have any time! It motivated me to wake and start acting.

    Last season was good and not good. There were heights and falls, bitter defeats and beautiful triumphs! Not bad in general, but not consistent. Analyzing the situation, I conclude again that everything depends on the training process and a good coach. A coach! No, a good coach in women’s tennis is difficult to find this days. You can literally count them on one hand.

    Usually the situation is as follows:

    One: A good coach trained the top players and now does not want to travel, because he wants to spend some time with his family and kids.

    Two: A coach is willing to travel, but you know he cannot help you much.

    Three: A young coach is full of energy and enthusiasm, but does not have any experience with professional players. He is good for beginners, since they both have time for the trials and mistakes. They both will gain the experience.

    Four: Sometimes a coach is good but is not right for you. Since you might have different approaches to the game.

    Five: The rare case, when the coach is not right for someone else, but perfect for you.

    As you see the question is not an easy one. You can see it just by observing how often players change their coaches.

    Last year I faced the question: where to prepare for the next season? I really wanted to stay home since I cannot be there often. But even more, I wanted to be well prepared, since good preparation is the main constituent of a successful first part of the season. It is why again I have chosen Florida. For tennis it is one of the most ideal places.

    I took the question of vacation seriously. From one point of view vacation is vacation, why to complicate it. But it is not true. After many years spent in professional tours/tournaments you understand that crazy pressure and a tough schedule causes tiredness which accumulates. It resembles a lack of sleep. If you do not sleep one night and try to compensate the next night, you catch up. If you do not catch up on sleep right away, it will take much longer to recover. The same in tennis. I took my vacation as a project with the aim of complete recovery and preparation for more activity. I sat and jotted down my plan: stuff to do, medical check ups (it is absolutely necessary at the end of the year. Never ignore this question! Our body is our car, it should run well!), cultural activities, and socializing with friends. But it is still not a vacation. For me the essential part is the beach and passive relaxation. The body and muscles have to relax and what can be better than the salt water? But the right order is necessary. You cannot first go to the sea, return and complete all you business stuff. All your efforts to rest will be lost. This time I have decided to go on vacation to Mexico and not by chance. It is near Miami, which means before the beginning of training I will have time to adjust to the climate.

    It seems that every year I pay more attention to the details. It is true. I consider that on the professional level there are no details. Every little thing means a lot.

    After talking to my American coach (the first time I have worked with him a week before the US Open, I played pretty well there and have decided to come to him for preparation for the season). I got the task to do some physical exercises. I am responsible and committed; if I have to I will do it. Every day at 5:30 in the morning (because of the time difference I got up very early) I was at the beach jogging on the sand. I have a high threshold of pain. It means that not until something “falls out” will I say that it hurts. It happened this time. On the fifth or sixth day of my running I felt a little pain in my knee. First of all for me “hurts a little” is not an argument. The sportsman always feels a little pain or a lot of pain. And if you always pay attention to it, you will never make it to the tennis court.

    So it is why first I have not paid any attention to it. But at the end of my long run that day when I felt my knee really hurt, I thought that something was wrong. But what could be wrong? I am just jogging. Probably I just was not exercising for a while. But in the evening I could not walk downstairs because of the pain. I took some painkillers, which I always carry with me.

    In the morning in spite of the discomfort I went to the gym. I thought to ease my task and instead of running on sand go to the treadmill, but even then I felt a strong pain. I switched to the bike, but still felt a pain. I went to the ellipse, then I could not feel the pain so much. So the remaining days I was exercising there. When I arrived in Florida and started practicing I realized that it hurt too much! The first day when we started on a light schedule, my knee was hurting but not too bad. At the end of the second day I could not step on my foot! What shall I do? I went to see the doctors and had a MRI. The result? Elongation and swelling. I was told not to play for a week. But how can I? I would not have time to get ready! Minus a whole week! I was very upset… since I wanted to get ready for the beginning of training, but it did not work. Later, fitness and tennis trainers told me that I should not have run every day on the sand. It is alright on wet sand but never on dry. I did not know. This is true – you learn as long as you live.

    I had treatments every day, and thank God I was well soon. But by that time my hands were bleeding from blisters. What bad luck! Blisters on hands are quite common after an interval. It is a sort of a payment for the vacation. But in general the preparation went pretty well. The season in Australia also was successful, in spite of losing to Casey Dellacqua (the match was still very good). Then Kristina and I were playing doubles final! Because of the doubles match in Brisbane I was late to singles in Sydney, I played only doubles. Then Melbourne… no one could have predicted such a terrible heat. When we first arrived it was rather chilly. But there are some legends about the weather in Melbourne. It can change in a blink of an eye! I had enough days to get prepared. One unfortunate thing which happened was that a few days before the tournament I fell during practice. As a law of unintended consequences, it happened right at the end of the last point. In the morning of the next day my right hand was hurting! I was told that I had strained something when I fell. I was given painkillers again, which I had to take during the whole tournament!

    But the worst thing was the terrible heat, which lasted from the second to the fifth day. The conditions were almost inhumane! During the first match the ballboy kept forgetting to bring me the towel with ice during the changeover. I had to keep reminding him, losing precious time. Once there was a brief and funny dialog which made me laugh. Imagine, it is +42-43 C in the shade during the third set. We are exhausted from the heat and cannot wait for the changeover to get the towel with some ice. The ballboy is day dreaming without noticing my suffering. I addressed him: “Please get me a towel with some ice!” But he is so slow… I am getting irritated: “When you bring the towel I will not have time left to use it!” And I hear the chair umpire who was listening me: “The time is already over.”

    It was a very hard day. One player, two ballboys, and four judges on the line fainted. But what happened at the next match with Suarez Navarro is the nightmare. The temperature went up to +45 C in the shade! I even do not want to think about what was going on on the court. You are feeling as if you are in a sauna and the court is like a hot frying pan. Even through tennis shoes you feel the burning heat. To tell the truth, I do not know I could I bear the match for 3 hours and 10 minutes. I also had a good chance to win. It seems to me that in these circumstances some reserve powers of the human organism turn on. You walk and do not understand if you can continue playing, or if the next step will be the last.

    I have never felt so terrible as after that match. I got sunstroke. I felt chills during the last games. The temperature is +50 C outside and I am shaking feeling cold! After the last game, for four hours I could not get up. I had a headache, chills, and upset stomach. I was taken for doping control, where my almost breathless body spent a few hours in one of the rooms before I could do anything.

    In the evening I was exhausted. I wanted to fall asleep but could not. As often happens from tiredness I could not fall asleep till 3 a.m. And at 6:40 I was awake. The next day I was scheduled to play doubles! I do not know why they were in such a hurry, since some teams by that time had not finished playing even the first round.

    It was the end of my tournament in Melbourne. And now as you know I am on the way home. I have not been there for quite a while, and miss my family. But I have only a few days. Then the tournament in Paris! And after that the Federation Cup in Astana.




    {jcomments on}

    Go to comments


  • 15/07/2012


    Hello, dear readers! I’m sorry again for such a long wait.


    Go to comments

    Briefly, I’d like to tell you what’s been going on the last two months. In my last post I was telling you that I was on my way to America and had a bad cold. In the warm climate I started to get well fast, but kept coughing for six weeks. I will not go into details about the American series because it went relatively quiet without any big adventures. I remember the American series because in all tournaments at Indian Wells in Miami and Charleston I was playing night matches on the center courts and always finishing after midnight. I’m not used to playing late in the evening. The last time I played a night match was a year ago in Pattaya and here I had to play every match at night. But I got invaluable experience. I also played doubles with Yaroslava Shevedova in Miami in preparation for the Olympics.

    A funny thing happened in Charleston. I was playing a first round match against Jelena Dokic who was playing well even though her hand was hurt—which can be a dangerous moment for a tennis player. An opponent who has an injury may play very well and make some unbelievable shots, but you have to ignore the good play and hold to your original game plan. In this case, I was 4–2 up in the first set and Yelena had called for the trainer but was still playing. And she served so well that the score was 4–3, and it was my turn to serve. At 30–15 in the next game, after a long rally, I went to the net and won the point. As I made my way slowly back to the service line my head was full of thoughts about my next serve. Without looking at the court, I walked to the back fence talking to myself. Then I heard from the stands someone shouting my name. And another shout from another place in the stands. I thought it was so nice that some people were cheering for me, but I kept talking to myself because it was important for me to concentrate. Suddenly I heard the voice of Alina (my coach) and I turned around to see that my opponent had left the court and was standing behind the umpire’s chair after having forfeited the match. The umpire and everyone else was laughing.

    After the American series I returned to Moscow and rested a little while before flying to the Spanish academy to get ready for the clay-court season. Generally, at academies there are pluses and minuses, but the main advantage is that you can accomplish a lot. My clay-court series included the following tournaments: Estoril , Madrid, Rome, a one-week break, and Rolland Garros. In Etoril I played well and reached the quarter finals, then lost a difficult and disappointing three-set match to Karin Knapp. In doubles with Yaroslava, we reached the final. Of course, it was very nice to play in the final, but it took away from my singles preparation for Madrid. I had no time to recuperate for the next tournament and arrived in Madrid very tired. I played on the blue clay only one hour. In the first round I lost to Katya Makarova. In doubles with Yara, we reached the quarter finals. Certainly the organizers made this an interesting series because of the blue clay. I know that many players did not like this novelty, but I personally did not experience any discomfort because of it.

    Before leaving Madrid, I was sitting with Claudia, the mother of Denis Istomin, and she told me that Denis had already played against almost all the top ten players. I said that I had also played with almost all top-ten players but not the Williams sisters, which I wanted to. Then, the second day after arriving in Rome, the schedule had me play Serena. As soon as I had said so, it happened. I was very excited at the opportunity, and then I got sick with a high fever. What should I do? Forfeit and perhaps never have the chance to play Serena? No, I decided to play anyway. For two days I did not leave my room and requested not to play on Monday. But on Monday I was scheduled to play doubles against Nadia Petrova and Masha Kirilenko. Right before the match I went to the doctor to take my temperature and the thermometer showed over 38C or 100F. I told my doubles partner, Olga Govortsova, that I was not feeling well but would still try to do my best, knowing that I had to play with Olga (since we had never played together) and that I still had to get ready for my match the next day with Serena.

    Olga and I lost the doubles match, but we played well. The next day my match with Serena was scheduled late in the evening and due to a long men’s match before us, we started close to midnight. Serena is a very moody person. Sometimes you can chat with her in the dressing room, and sometimes she ignores you completely. Before our match she was walking around with a frowning expression and looked at me like a wolf. This continued until I was running out of the dressing room (since I am always late and hurrying at the last minute). As I pushed open the door going out of the dressing room, it almost hit Serena who happened to be walking by just at that moment. She jumped and said, “Oee,” at which she and her team and I all started laughing. Serena then said, “It seems you want to kill me before the match even begins.” This relieved the tension.

    On the court I felt the full power of her shots. In the beginning it was very difficult because I was so weak from being in bed. Then I played pretty well, but physically it was terribly difficult even though we had many good rallies. Even though I lost, I was very satisfied that I had gone ahead with the match and gotten the chance to play Serena.




    Go to comments


  • 05/09/2011

    Coming Soon!

    Coming Soon!

    Go to comments


    Galina Voskoboeva 


    Go to comments


  • 08/01/2017

    Finish this sentence… Galina Voskoboeva

    Galina Voskoboeva has nearly spent more time holding onto crutches rather than a tennis racquet over the past three years.

    Finish this sentence… Galina Voskoboeva

    IMG 8780-1024x550After achieving a career-high world ranking of No.42 and reaching her maiden WTA final in Seoul in 2012, the Kazakh was struck down with multiple stress fractures and bruising in her foot. A 22-month rehabilitation process following multiple surgeries resulted in an extended period off the court for the now 32-year-old.

    Voskoboeva made her return the game in early 2016 as an unranked player, searching for form and some much needed match practice. She is back in Hobart for the first time since 2012 and today faces Frenchwoman Pauline Parmentier in the first round.

    Before Voskoboeva takes to the court, we asked her to finish these sentences…

    My goal for 2017 is… to get back into the top 100.

    The best lesson I learnt in 2016 was… to never give up.

    I love being a tennis player because… it’s a very competitive game.

    The hardest part of being a tennis player is… staying away too long from home and family.

    The best advice I’ve ever been given is… to stay calm.

    My favourite pre-match meal is… pasta.

    The best concert I’ve ever been to is… Sting.

    My favourite player growing up was… Mary Pierce.

    The most random item in my tennis bag is… I have so much stuff in there that nothing’s random.

    My best travel tip is… to have a nice book.

    My worst habit is… running late.

    My go-to karaoke song is… Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You.

    My favourite social media channel is… Facebook.

    I think Hobart is… of a nice nature.

  • 29/02/2016

    Voskoboeva vaults into WTA return

    Former No.42 Galina Voskoboeva played her first WTA match in almost two years this week in Acapulco; what has the insightful veteran been up to?

    Voskoboeva vaults into WTA return

    There are two sides to every comeback. Long layoffs may leave a player rusty and out of rhythm, but they have an undeniably refreshing quality that can sometimes lead to stretches of top-level tennis.

    Out for over 22 months rehabbing multiple stress fractures and a bruised bone in her foot, former World No.42 Galina Voskoboeva makes her WTA return at this week's Abierto Mexicano TELCEL unranked and in search of the form that made her last comeback so successful.

    "This is my second comeback, so in the beginning it's very difficult, but I didn't expect it to be any other way," she told WTA Insider from an ITF Challenger in Surprise, Arizona.

    "The most difficult part of this comeback is not having a ranking; I'm playing small tournaments because I'm at zero, but it's very difficult to even enter tournaments, and you're always stressed because you don't know if you'll get in or not."

    If anyone knows how to come back, it's the Kazakh, who made a major splash in 2011 following a seven-month shoulder injury. A qualifier at the Rogers Cup in Toronto, Voskoboeva reached the quarterfinals with wins over Marion Bartoli, Flavia Pennetta, and Maria Sharapova. She cruised into her first WTA final later that fall in Seoul en route to a career-high ranking in 2012.

    Galina Voskoboeva comeback

    "It does give me some more confidence because my last comeback was really good. It was very difficult in the beginning; I probably didn't show my best tennis right away, but the second part of the year in 2011 was great.

    "I don't know if I can expect it to be that good this time, but of course I already have some ideas of how it will be. I know it'll be very difficult in the beginning to show your game the way you used to play."

    Ranked just outside the Top 50 in the spring of 2014, Voskoboeva had recently won a doubles title - in Acapulco of all places - but was starting to feel a pain in her foot that would take her on two-year odyssey of rehab and recovery.

    "I had a surgery where they had to take one bone out because it had three fractures; the bone was dead and couldn't heal. Another bone was also fractured, but they left it in, because they can't take out two bones!"

    She laughs. before adding, "Well, they can, and you could still run, but not fast, and you can't jump, so I definitely didn't want that. I have one bone left, and it's still fractured - it's not going to heal."

    She spent the summer doing physical therapy in Amsterdam, where the veteran took her time as a tourist in stride, enjoying the funny moments that occurred along the way.

    "I came there one month after my surgery, when I was on crutches and in a cast. You can't walk for a long time on crutches; I don't have very strong arms, so it'd be like 10 minutes, and I'm dead! My mom bought me a wheelchair, and it was funny, because if we wanted to have a walk, I'd start on crutches and then move to the wheelchair! It was quite an adventure.

    "I also got some benefits from that because there are a lot of good museums there, and there are huge lines. But when people saw me in a wheelchair, I was first in line and never had to wait!

    "You should always take something good, even from the worst of days."

    Voskoboeva returned to her base in Florida to train through the fall, initially aiming to return at the start of 2015.

    "I didn't expect to be away this long! I was thinking that it would be similar to the shoulder injury; this one was much, much longer and it was much more difficult.

    "Everything was going well but suddenly I started feeling pain straight away during a practice and it swelled. I had another MRI, and we found there was a bruise on the bone. I don't know how it happened; nobody can say - even the doctors! It could have been from jumping or running, but the result was a bruise on the bone, and I needed to have a rest.

    "I had to start from the beginning, like I never did rehab before. I was very disappointed with that, and for a long time, the injury didn't heal. I was working and working, but nothing was happening. I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to come back after that."

    This second season away proved to be one of self-discovery for the Kazakh; she traveled to Indian Wells and Miami and enjoyed the game from afar, embracing the role of enthusiastic spectator.

    "I wouldn't like to watch tennis while I was participating in the tournament and, let's say, I lost. I'd be frustrated and wouldn't want to see more tennis. This time, I hadn't seen it in so long that I took all the benefits from that. I found out that I'm a very active fan! I love to cheer and I was so relaxed.

    "I could spend the whole day on-site; I saw so many friends there, talking, the things you can't do as a player. I saw so many different matches. I cheered for the girls, and I could be loud as a spectator. When you're participating as a player, you can't spend many hours watching in the heat and you don't want to get tired. This time, I could come from the beginning of the day and leave after the last match. I didn't feel bad at all. I was a fan, and it's really a cool part of the game.

    "When you're outside, you're watching the player and ask, 'Oh my god, why are they so nervous? They should be more relaxed; it's just a game!' But once you're coming back on tour, those memories of why they're so stressed come back very fast!"

    She took classes in Moscow and also successfully completed the WTA/ATP Professionals Course in Miami, a career transitions course where she earned USPTA and PTR Coach Certifications in preparation for a future coaching career, one that felt closer to coming to pass the longer she spent off the court.

    "I had a lot of good coaches, and I took the best things from each of them. It was a little bit difficult because I was still trying to come back and so I was still doing my rehab, so I couldn't study full-time. In Russia, they have a new rule; before you could be a coach just by having been an athlete, but now you need a special education. In our group, I met another athlete. She was a retired runner, but I found out that we were at the same Olympic Games.

    "There were good coaches and athletes in my group, and it was really interesting to be with them, learn something new by speaking with them. I'm still in touch with some of them, and it was a good time."

    Voskoboeva retained her own international coaching team for this latest comeback, hoping the three of them can pick up where they left off.

    "I have two coaches because neither of them can travel full time: Erwan Leridant - he used worked with Vania King. When I'm in Russia and that part of the world, I have a great coach there: Alexander Zlatoustsov. He used to work with Dinara Safina. I also have the same fitness coach, Liliya Nurutdinova.

    "When the injury happened, I was in good shape and was very disappointed because my ranking at that time was No.64 but for a very long time - for maybe two-and-a-half or three months - I didn't have any points to defend. I was in position to, with a good result, make my best ranking. That's why I think there's nothing to change because I played well and I was satisfied with my team.

    "It was actually quite funny that I didn't have any points to defend. At that time I was No.2 in Kazakhstan, Yaroslava Shvedova was No.1. After the surgery, I went to rehab one or two months later, and I logged onto the Internet and saw the headline: 'Galina Voskoboeva became No.1 in Kazakhstan!' So after two months and a surgery I became No.1; I said, 'Ok, not bad. I should be in the cast longer!'"

    Out of the cast and back on the tennis court for a comeback she herself describes as a "miracle," Voskoboeva quickly earned her first WTA win in exactly two years playing doubles with former partner Anastasia Rodionova in Acapulco. Aware she will have to hit the ground running in Indian Wells and Miami, she plans to make her full-fledged singles return with high spirits and a sense of humor.

    "This level of tennis, for the last two years, I saw it only on TV! When I'm at that level, I can talk about goals, but for now I'm not there. I've played so few matches after two years, it's like nothing, and every time, I realize something is missing: maybe a shot, or I'm not moving that fast, or in the wrong direction! There are a lot of things I have to improve. You can see them only when you compete; you can't really see them in practice because it's a completely different level of concentration.

    "The main thing is to be healthy and to take care of my body, and not to be too crazy about playing everything in a row and forget that I was injured! I still have to remember to treat myself: my body, my foot. Between the foot and the shoulder, I have many parts of my body that I have to treat well!

    "I came to Fed Cup, and hadn't played doubles the whole two years. When our captain was asking, 'Galina, are you ready?' I said, 'I don't know because I have no idea how I will play!' Can you imagine? I have no idea if the level that I played last time in 2014 will be there in Indian Wells. I know I will do my best and try to prepare.

    "I feel like Scarlett from Gone With the Wind: I will think about this tomorrow!"

    Credits to:

  • 05/03/2014

    WTA Acapulco Champions - Kristina Mladenovic & Galina Voskoboeva



    WTA Acapulco Champions - Kristina Mladenovic & Galina Voskoboeva

    Acapulco youtube


08.01.2017 - 14.01.2017

Hobart International

(Hobart, Australia)

16.01.2017 - 29.01.2017

Australian Open

(Melbourne, Australia)